Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Long Distance Dad

Today, I began following a blog called "Long Distance Mother". I also added a link here to a website called "distanceparent.org". I am drawn to the stories of others in my unfortunate situation. I closely relate to these people who keep these internet sites going. Perhaps they, like me, feel a calling to talk about the issue of being a long-distance parent to help others who are going through it. Or maybe it is a sense that if we talk about it online, it may help other families find some way to avoid the difficult situation we are in. One thing is for certain, I want to tell people how I make it through from day to day. Being a long-distance dad has been the ultimate test of my soul. I couldn't have the strength to face it without my God of grace.

Every day my children are away seems incomplete. It has been over 3 months now since I have seen my middle daughter and son. In that time, he has turned 18 and is now considered a man. She is doing well, but lately has been fighting the H1N1 virus. I miss them dearly. And I am so looking forward to spending part of the Christmas Holiday with them. But that's still over a month away.

I always knew there would come a day when my kids would fly away from their nest... but I never planned on it happening this soon. I did not ask for this... I never dreamt this could happen to me. I love my children with all my heart and I know they love me. What a difficult thing it must be for them as well. In the days leading up to their initial departure to go live 500 miles away with their mother, and in the 2 years since then, I have come to know God in a way I had never known him.

He walked with me
He talked with me
He told me I am His own
He gave me peace.
And He taught me that He would take care of everything.
He taught me to trust Him.

What I have learned is that He is good.... He takes care of them and me.

Tomorrow, my daughter leaves to join her brother and sister with their mom in Kansas. And also the others will leave to spend the Holiday with their dad. I will miss them all so much. Yet I am good. It will be a unique opportunity for me to spend Thanksgiving alone with my sweetheart. We need the time together and God knows it. We look forward to sharing our thoughts on all the things He has blessed us with. We have much to be thankful for. So in the midst of all the pain and sorrow of this life as a long-distant parent... God Provides Peace. He is good!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete